MICHR K Award
Mentored Clinical Scientists Career Development (MICHR K) award is a two-year award to provide protected time for a clinician scientist to focus on conducting clinical research. The program is supported by a combination of funds from MICHR and the candidate's base department. The faculty lead for this program is Fernando Martinez, MD, MS.
Click here for frequently asked questions.
Please note the new deadline and start date for this program has changed. The application deadline is March 3, with letter of intent due December 10. The program runs June 1, 2014 - May 31, 2016. Check here for more information.
75% (50% for surgical subspecialties) protected time
Salary for protected time cost-shared (37.5% from MICHR and 37.5% from their base department)
$25,000 for research costs and $5,000 for tuition expenses annually
Applications follow the K23 application format and require:
A plan for training and career development
A clinical research proposal intended to lead to future clinical trials
A description of a strong mentoring arrangement
A specific budget with budget justification
|MICHR K Scholars have:
- Access to seminars and workshops in clinical and translational research methodology
- Access to the MICHR Post-doctoral Career Development Seminar
- Assistance in the selection of appropriate specialized courses
- Guidance for the trainee’s scientific research from a multidisciplinary mentoring team
- Individualized career development guidance from MICHR faculty
- Consultation with MICHR professional staff on clinical research conduct and grant proposal development, including the scholars' own K-series award
- National exposure through participation in the Association of Clinical and Translational Science (ACTS) annual meeting in Washington, D.C.
"It provides a great stepping stone to establishing your research career and the opportunity to work with mentors to develop your science."
-Madhuri Kakarala, MD, PhD, RD
Who is eligible?
Eligible applicants hold an MD or PhD with a clinical or health focus
University of Michigan junior faculty and mid-career health care professionals initiating careers in clinical research are encouraged to apply
Candidates must be nominated and obtain a funding commitment by their department chair and display clear potential for academic success
Candidates must be U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent resident
To ensure that applicants prepare competitive proposals, candidates are strongly encouraged to contact us as soon as they decide to apply for the MICHR K
The MICHR Scholars portal is a website that allows our scholars to gain access to resources and network with each other. Click HERE for the MICHR Scholars portal. Click LOGIN on the left side of the page to enter. You must have a umich account in order to log in to the portal.
Call or email:
Fernando Martinez, MD, MS
Lise Anderson, MPH
Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR)
North Campus Research Complex
2800 Plymouth Road, Building 400
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2800
Feedback on this page? Email Christy Byks-Jazayeri