Health Disparities Summer Program
Researchers from diverse specialties and backgrounds are needed to design and conduct relevant studies to address health disparities, and to translate findings into individual, community, and policy interventions. The 10-week Health Disparities summer immersion supports up to 8 students, engaging them in health disparities research practice.
Applications are now closed
Application deadline February 4
“I was able to interact and collaborate with individuals from medicine, pharmacy, nursing, and social work - fields I normally wouldn’t be exposed to. I think that this is key to reducing health disparities: Multidisciplinary work that translates ethically conducted research into practice.”
~ 2011 SIPHD student
Click here to download a flier
Program runs June - August of each year
The program includes:
- Mentored participation in ongoing research (20-30 hours per week) – plan developed in cooperation with research mentor
- Structured group learning activities in health disparities research (approx. 4 hours per week) - interactive seminars, field visits, and learning materials that explore substantive, methodological, and career issues in health disparities research
- Participation in a mock research study section to enhance research development skills
- Medical and dental students and graduate students in nursing, social work, pharmacy, sociology, public health, and other health-related disciplines are eligible for the program
- Available to students from institutions nationwide
- Must be a U.S. citizen or U.S. permanent resident
- Students may not receive additional federal funding during this program
- Monthly pay and travel to Ann Arbor is provided.
- Health care expenses are not provided.
- Participants can choose to live in U-M campus housing (double occupancy). Housing costs are not provided.
- Please contact us if you would like to use this opportunity as an internship.
Want more Information?
Shannon Marshall-Wilhelm, Admissions Coordinator
Brenda Eakin, Pre-Doctoral Programs Designer
Michigan Institute for Clinical & Health Research (MICHR)
North Campus Research Complex
2800 Plymouth Road, Building 400
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2800
Feedback on this page? Email Christy Byks-Jazayeri