REDCap is an electronic data capture (EDC) system that is secure, HIPAA compliant, and web-based. This easy-to-use, no-cost tool for University of Michigan clinical researchers is intended to replace Microsoft Excel and Access. Using REDCap's stream-lined process for rapidly developing databases, you may create, design, and manage your clinical research data online. Further, REDCap provides automated export procedures for seamless data downloads to common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R) as well as a built-in scheduling calendar, ad hoc reporting tools, and advanced electronic data capture form features such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
To obtain your REDCap account, two simple steps are required:
- Ensure that your computer supports the following browsers: Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, Firefox 3.0 or higher, and Safari 3.0 or higher.
- Request enrollment in the REDCap 100 e-Learning course:
- Send an e-mail to: email@example.com containing the subject line: "Adobe Connect Acct. for REDCap." The body of your e-mail should include the following verbiage:
Please register my name (provide your first/last name, unique name, U-M e-mail) to the UM Adobe Connect server and add my account to the Learners and UM REDCap Users groups. Please let me know when this request has been completed.
- Complete the REDCap Account Access Request Form provided or accessible at the end of the e-Learning course upon successful completion of REDCap 100. Then, scan and e-mail to MICHR-Support@umich.edu or FAX to 734.998.7546.
You will be given access to two instances of REDCap, Training and Production. Please complete all training and development activities in the REDCap Training instance. The REDCap Production instance is strictly reserved for the capture of real patient data for your active clinical research study.
IRB or GRANT Application Boilerplate for REDCap
REDCap 110 is an introductory, two-hour, hands-on training course offered by the MICHR CRIC Operational Support (MCOps) team. This course is offered twice a month through 2012 with a small class size, limited to 10, to enhance the student experience. You may self-register at: REDCap Hands-On Training Schedule. Class room space is reserved on a first-come, first-served basis. We look forward to supporting your training and research efforts.
Additional training via e-learning modules are accessible through the "training" tab within the application, embedded within the functional modules, and accessible via the following link: http://www.project-redcap.org/
Again, utilize the REDCap Training instance to learn REDCap, experiment with your clinical research study design, and enter test data.
REDCap User Group
A vibrant local user community is being formed, led by the MICHR Clinical Research Management team. We have established a collaborative cTools site to facilitate an open forum for communication with all RedCap users. The cTools site provides:
- E-mail access to the entire user group (firstname.lastname@example.org) with usage questions, feedback, and brainstorming
- RedCap resources such as user reference guides, how-to's, FAQs, and other downloadable resources
If you have any questions or encounter any difficulties, please contact MICHR-Support@umich.edu. We are excited and look forward to providing you with the best possible secure data capture systems for the benefit of our clinical research community at U-M.
Feedback on this page? E-mail Santinio Jones