What is a Mock Study Section?
This is an opportunity to learn how NIH grant reviewers, or “study sections,” think. As one of nine grant reviewers you will discuss actual 12-page K and R grants (already submitted in some version to the NIH). You will learn what happens behind the closed doors in a real K or R grant review. It’s a true-to-life simulation guaranteed to raise your score.
This event is ideal for fellows and early career faculty who are writing career development and R01 grants. It simulates an NIH Study Section in every detail (including the work expected). Participants will be assigned a grant to review in either clinical and translational research or health services research.
- To review and critique the quality of a scientific grant application in a formal review meeting
- To apply the guidelines for peer review as developed by the NIH
- To discuss the common weaknesses of scientific grant proposals
- Pre-lecture video: (less than 30 minutes)
- Review grants (1-3 hours)
- Exchange data and review instructions (1 hour)
- Mock Study Section: September 14, 5:30-8:00 p.m (2.5 hours) at NCRC
There is a fee for the Mock Study Section Workshop. Please note that there are no refunds for cancellations.
University of Michigan registrants:
Cost: $50. U-M registrants should provide a valid shortcode.
Non-University of Michigan registrants:
Cost: $65. Non-University of Michigan registrants can pay by check or credit card. To pay by credit card, call Tony Parker at 734.998.7572. If paying by check, please make it payable to the University of Michigan and mail it to:
Attn: Tony Parker
MICHR - University of Michigan
2800 Plymouth Rd.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2800