What is this service?
Grant proposals may be strengthened by a letter of support detailing MICHR services you will use to meet the research goals outlined in your proposal.
MICHR houses numerous research support programs that provide diverse services. To develop a tailored plan to support your research goals, please discuss what to include in your draft letter of support with your MICHR contact. If you need assistance identifying the appropriate MICHR program, please contact us at email@example.com or 734.998.7474.
Requesting a Letter of Support
Once you have worked with MICHR to finalize your plan for support, please use the following standard process to request a letter of support:
- Download this template and related boilerplate language.
- Customize the template with basic information about your proposal and the MICHR services you will use, as outlined in your specific plan for support.
- Email the completed letter to MICHRLetter@umich.edu and include:
- The name of the proposal and the name of the PI
- The name of the individual at MICHR you worked with to negotiate support for your project
- The name and contact information for the person who should receive the completed letter
- Your deadline
Who can use this service?
Any investigator receiving customized and specific support from MICHR is eligible to receive a letter of support for a grant application. If you wish to highlight MICHR support that is fundamental to the general research environment at U-M and available to any investigator, you do not need a letter of support. Rather, you can include such information in the Facilities & Other Resources section of your grant proposal, using this boilerplate language.
When should I contact MICHR about this service?
The time required to develop a customized plan will vary based on the complexity of your project.
Generally, please allow seven business days for processing a letter of support. A PDF of your signed letter on MICHR letterhead will be emailed to the person you specify.
How much does this service cost?
Letters of support are provided free of charge.